You may not be a huge fan of brussels sprouts, but when you add bacon to the mix and a bunch of other delicious ingredients, you end up with a dish that’s simply irresistible. This combo is a holiday staple in many cuisines, and for good reason, as it’s packed with flavor and aroma that will make your taste buds do a happy dance. So, how can you prep your brussels sprouts this season? Here’s a must-try recipe!
Brussels Sprouts With Guanciale
Just imagine it, taking a chewy, salty, yet somehow sweet bite out of the flaky caramelized brussels sprouts against the aromatic guanciale. Did your mouth just water? It’s okay, making this recipe is super easy.
– 2 pounds trimmed and halved brussels sprouts
– ¼ pound guanciale, cut into lardons
– 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
– ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt, plus some for finishing
– Freshly ground black pepper for seasoning
How to Prepare the Recipe
Now that you know what you’ll need, it’s time to pull up your sleeves and get cooking!
1. Preheat your oven to 400°F.
2. Brown the guanciale for about 5 minutes. To do that, first heat the olive oil over medium heat in an oven-safe skillet until it starts shimmering, and then throw in the lardons. Toss them well. You’ll know they’re ready when the edges begin to brown.
3. Remove half of the fat from the skillet before adding the brussels sprouts in with the guanciale. Toss them until they are coated well. Season with pepper and salt. You can add more spices if you want to, like chili flakes for extra heat.
4. Transfer the pan to the oven and roast the sprouts until they are nice and tender. This should take about 20 minutes but adjust the time based on your oven. Once ready, take the skillet out of the oven, sprinkle some more salt, and serve immediately.