Carrot cake is a delicious autumn or winter treat. This is quick, easy to make, and doesn’t need many ingredients. Here’s the recipe.
Ingredients (For 1 9-inch double layer cake):
For Carrot Cake
• All-purpose flour, 2 cups or 250 grams
• Peeled medium-sized carrots, 5-6
• Large eggs, 4
• Baking soda, 2 teaspoons
• Ground cinnamon, 1½ teaspoons
• Fine sea salt, ½ teaspoon
• Canola oil, 1¼ cups or 295 ml
• Brown sugar, 1 cup or 200 grams
• Granulated sugar, 1 cup or 200 grams
• Vanilla extract, 1 teaspoon
• Coarsely chopped pecans, 1 cup or 100 grams
• Raisins, ½ cup or 65 grams
For Creamy Frosting
• Room temperature cream cheese, 8 ounces or 225 grams
• Heavy whipping cream, 1/3 cup or 80 ml
• Powdered sugar, 1¼ cups or 140 grams
• Coarsely chopped pecans for topping, ½ cup or 50 grams
Making the Batter
• First, heat the oven to 176oC or 350oF. Grease two 9-inch sized round cake pans and line the bottom of each pan with parchment papers.
• Grate the peeled carrots.
• Pour flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in a medium bowl, and whisk together until well combined.
• Whisk the sugars and oil in a separate bowl. Add vanilla essence. Whisk in eggs, one by one. Combine everything well.
• Add the dry ingredients into it in 3 parts. Each time, gently stir until well combined.
• Stir in the grated carrots, raisins, and pecans.
Baking the Cake
• Divide the batter between the two prepared pans. Bake for 35-45 minutes, or until the top of the cake layers are springy to touch.
• Switch off the oven and cool the cake layers for 15 minutes in the pans. Then turn them out into cooling racks and peel off the parchment papers.
The Finishing Touch
• Beat the cream cheese for about a minute in a large bowl. Gradually beat in the powdered sugar and the cream, until the mixture is fluffy.
• Frost the top of one layer and place the other layer on top of it. Cover the top of the cake completely with the remaining frosting. Scatter nuts on top.